When you see a doctor or go to a hospital for help with a medical issue, you trust that your doctor will have the skill to care for you properly. Unfortunately, sometimes physicians and other healthcare providers fall short of required standards of care. The attorneys at De Caro & Kaplen, LLP provide compassionate legal counsel to medical malpractice victims and their families—and we’ve been doing it for over 35 years.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is when a healthcare provider is professionally negligent, resulting in injury to the patient. It may involve not doing something (e.g. a necessary medication was not given) or a negligent act (e.g. performing surgery on the wrong part of a patient’s body, or ignoring a patient’s complaints or symptoms, resulting in a flawed diagnosis). Any type of provider can be held liable for malpractice, whether it’s a physician, hospital resident, hospital intern, physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner, nurse, therapist, or dentist. Claims may also be brought against hospitals, urgent care centers, and clinics whose employees’ careless behavior caused patient harm.
Malpractice Happens in Many Forms
Medical malpractice is complex, and can happen across all specialties and settings. Over the last three decades, De Caro & Kaplen, LLP has successfully handled cases ranging from misdiagnosis to poor surgical and hospital care. Contact us if you believe your situation involves:
- Anesthesia malpractice
- Ear, nose & throat medical malpractice
- Emergency room malpractice
- Hospital malpractice
- Improper treatment of infectious diseases
- Internist malpractice
- Medical errors in orthopedics
- Medical malpractice in the care of children
- Misdiagnosed cancer
- Neurosurgery malpractice
- Obstetrical and birth injury
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Stroke misdiagnosis
- … or any other scenario involving medical error
What Makes Us Qualified to Take On Your Case?
According to the Journal of Patient Safety, 440,000 patients die each year as a result of preventable medical errors. The sad truth is, many will never receive adequate compensation for their injuries.
When you hire the firm of De Caro & Kaplen, LLP to represent you in your medical malpractice case, you can rest assured we have the knowledge, education, and real-world experience to get the job done right. A few facts about us:
- Partners Shana De Caro and Michael Kaplen each have spent over 35 years in the area of medical malpractice litigation.
- Michael is board-certified* in the area of medical malpractice by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and serves on their board of directors.
- Michael has taught courses in medical malpractice as well as trial practice techniques at St. John’s University School of Law.
- Shana and Michael have been invited to lecture at hospitals and to patient groups about medical malpractice issues. Both have served as members of the New York State Supreme Court medical malpractice review panels.
As an established firm with deep-rooted relationships in New York, we have the resources needed to build a solid claim against the doctor, hospital, urgent care center, or other healthcare provider responsible for your injuries. Our process includes gathering the appropriate medical and hospital records; analyzing your records, test results, and pathology studies; and securing expert opinions and expert testimony in court.
Shift the Scales of Justice in Your Favor
When doctors and hospitals get into trouble, they seek out lawyers and insurance companies to protect their interests. Aren’t you entitled to knowledgeable and experienced malpractice lawyers to fix the blame and represent your interests?
At De Caro & Kaplen, LLP, your case will only be handled by our experienced New York medical malpractice attorneys. Shana and Michael don’t represent doctors, hospitals, or insurers—their only interest is you. You pay nothing up front to secure the services of our lawyers. We only get paid if and when we obtain a favorable settlement on your behalf.
If you think you or a loved one is a victim of medical malpractice, consult with our attorneys today.
* The American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys is not affiliated with any government authority. Certification is not a requirement for the practice of law in the State of New York and does not necessarily indicate greater competence than other attorneys experienced in this field of law.
Areas We Serve
Our medical malpractice lawyers serve the entire State of New York including New York City, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and Queens. We also serve Nassau and Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester Counties, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse and surrounding areas.