Did Hospital Negligence Cause You Devastating Injury? Our Malpractice Attorneys Can Help.
People are admitted to hospitals and emergency departments every day expecting professional, first-rate medical attention. Yet not all hospitals provide a superior or even acceptable level of patient care. Errors ranging from improper staffing, medication, and recordkeeping to failing to follow orders can leave patients more seriously ill than when they arrived. In worst-case scenarios, hospital negligence can even lead to death. Hospitals are responsible for the negligence and malpractice of their nurses, interns, residents, house physicians and, in many cases, the patient’s attending doctor.
Do you suspect hospital malpractice caused your injury? Contact our attorneys today.
Common Hospital Errors
When you’ve been practicing law for over 35 years like the lawyers at De Caro & Kaplen, LLP, you see a variety of shocking cases. In some cases we’ve handled, illegible prescription orders led to the wrong drugs or medication being administered to an unsuspecting patient. We’ve also seen instances where ER staff fails to timely administer life-saving measures in an emergency situation. Other cases of hospital malpractice may include:
- Patient falls
- Bedsores resulting from poor nursing care
- Failure to treat an infection properly
- Leaving sponges and surgical instruments in a patient
- Operating room errors, including anesthesia errors
- Patient mix-ups leading to improper surgery or medication
- Procedures performed by unskilled residents or physician’s assistants
- Failure to have patient seen by a competent specialist
- Careless surgical technique resulting from inattentive surgeons
It’s not just doctors who can be held liable for medical neglect. Hospitals are responsible for the careless behavior of their nurses, nurse’s aides, physician’s assistants, and technicians who caused harm to an innocent patient.
Preventable Brain Injury
Brain injuries and even permanent brain damage are among the most tragic consequences of hospital malpractice we’ve been asked to investigate. This happens frequently in hospital emergency rooms, where an ill patient is discharged before the results of X-rays, CT scans, and other critical tests are reported. As a result, problems that were easily treatable grew into life-threatening medical conditions.
- In one case, a CT scan was not taken of a young man with severe head pain following a car and motorcycle accident. He was sent home. There, he developed seizures and was rushed back to the hospital. A CT scan was finally taken and showed bleeding in the brain. If a timely CT scan had been taken before he was initially sent home, this man could have received proper treatment and avoided permanent brain damage.
- In another sad case, a young child with high fever, lethargy, and a stiff neck sustained brain injury because the ER physician failed to take the proper tests to diagnose meningitis.
Choose a Malpractice Lawyer You Can Count On
When it comes to prosecuting a hospital malpractice lawsuit, having a qualified attorney on your side is essential. Our partners, Shana De Caro & Michael Kaplen, have years of experience helping patients navigate the complex legal terrain of malpractice litigation in New York. Michael is board certified* in the area of medical malpractice by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and serves on its Board of Directors.
Shana and Michael are skilled at uncovering the serious medical misconduct and negligence that led to a patient’s injury. In some cases, they’ve even discovered that medical records had been tampered with in order to cover up mistakes made by the hospital. Our thorough investigations—performed with the help of medical experts—leave no stone unturned.
De Caro & Kaplen, LLP represents clients on a contingency basis. This means you pay a fee only if we obtain financial compensation for you and your family.
Did This Happen to You?
Our team of legal specialists is available 24/7 to answer your questions and help you pursue the appropriate course of legal action. Don’t wait another day to find out if you have a valid claim of hospital malpractice. Contact us today.
Areas We Serve
Our hospital malpractice lawyers serve the entire State of New York including New York City, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island and Queens. We also serve Nassau and Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester Counties, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse and surrounding areas.