Burn Injury Lawyers in New York
Whether caused by open flames, explosion, or dangerous household chemicals, burns are one of the most painful and distressing injuries a human being can suffer. The road to recovery is long and difficult, and the scars can last a lifetime. As a burn victim, you need an experienced lawyer in your corner, someone who can make the parties responsible for your injuries answer for their negligence.
Contact us today to find out how we can help with your New York burn injury case.
How Were You Hurt?
After more than 40 years practicing personal injury law, De Caro & Kaplen, LLP has encountered virtually every type of burn accident case. Here are just a few examples:
- One client was severely burned by scalding-hot water when their landlord failed to maintain a critical boiler part.
- Our firm also represented an elderly man who suffered serious burns when he was left alone in the bathtub by a home care attendant responsible for his supervision.
- Another client was injured in a gas explosion as a result of a hot water heater that was not properly installed.
Our attorneys have also pursued cases involving missing smoke detectors, explosions, defective electrical connections, flammable fabrics, and unsafe stoves. Although the scenarios vary, these cases have one thing in common: someone acted irresponsibly, putting another in harm’s way. When you contact us, we’ll ask you to explain in detail how you received your burns. This is the first step in identifying the person or company responsible and building a solid case against them.
In a New York burn injury case handled by De Caro & Kaplen, LLP, our client was reaching over her stove to get a pot when her nightgown met the stove’s burner and caught on fire.
Because of the negligent design of her nightgown, she was engulfed in flames and seriously burned. Our personal injury attorneys achieved a settlement in excess of $1 million for this young woman.
Leading causes of accidental fires in New York City:
- Electrical Malfunction
- Candles and Other Open Flames
- Heating System
- Cooking Carelessness
Leading causes of fire deaths in New York City:
- Candles and Other Open Flames
- Electrical Malfunction
- More than 70% of fatal fires occur in homes without working smoke alarms
Why you can trust De Caro & Kaplen, LLP with your New York burn injury case.
When it comes to protecting the rights of burn injury victims in the state of New York, De Caro & Kaplen, LLP stands in a league of its own. Here are a few reasons why clients trust our firm to take on their case:
- The firm’s partners, Shana De Caro and Michael Kaplen, are highly qualified, award-winning personal injury attorneys with over three decades of experience. They know how to prosecute negligent corporations and individuals to the fullest extent of the law and get you the financial compensation to which you are entitled.
- Over the years, our clients have received significant settlements and verdicts under our representation—including many multi-million dollar awards.
- You’ll work directly with Shana or Michael on your burn injury case, and never get lost in the shuffle. We limit our caseload to give you the most attention possible.
- De Caro & Kaplen, LLP provides legal representation on a contingency basis. What does that mean? You don’t pay a penny unless we win your case. We believe money should never stand in the way of justice.
What Our Clients Say
Burn Injury & Safety Information
Scalding and Hot Water Burns
Burns often occur to elderly and infirm patients at home or in nursing homes when left unattended in the bathtub or shower. If water temperature is not properly checked before the individual is allowed to make contact with the water and is not properly monitored while being exposed to hot water, then a burn may occur. Aides, home care attendants, and nursing home personnel are responsible for monitoring water temperature, proper supervision, and preventing scaling and burn injuries from happening.
Brain Damage Caused by Fire and Burns
A brain injury can be caused by a fire, an electrical, chemical burn or an explosion. When the brain is deprived of essential oxygen, a condition known as hypoxia, or anoxia, brain cells will die resulting in cognitive brain injury. Electrical injuries can cause disruption to nerve cells within the brain causing brain damage. Toxic chemicals can have a damaging affect on the brain causing neurological injury. Burn complications such as sepsis (infection), impaired hydration (electrolyte imbalance) can also lead to brain injury.
Injury and death caused by fires in apartment buildings continues to rise in New York City.
According to data compiled by the New York City Fire Department, deaths in building fires increased by 16 percent in 2021, compared to 2020 figures. The most deaths, 23, were reported in Queens, and 19 death reported in Manhattan, 16 in the Bronx, 14 in Brooklyn, and 1 in Staten Island.
In 2022, a major fire in a Bronx apartment building caused by a faulty electric space
heater caused the deaths of 19 people including 9 children. Many more were injured
from smoke inhalation. These injuries and deaths could have been prevented if the
apartments had properly functioning, automatic self-closing doors and properly
Other leading causes of fire injuries and death in apartment fires include unsafe building wiring and inoperable smoke detectors.
Burn Injury Links
We’re Ready To Help
Don’t wait another day to pursue justice for yourself and your family. Contact De Caro & Kaplen, LLP today to discuss your legal right to obtain compensation.
If you would like to contact us using our form, please fill out the information below: