It’s exciting to walk the streets of New York, looking at all the sights. But sometimes, vehicle drivers aren’t looking out for you. They operate their car, truck, or bus inattentively—or worse, drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Whether you or someone you love was the victim of a pedestrian accident, the attorneys at De Caro & Kaplen, LLP can help you explore your legal options and determine your right to compensation.
Pedestrian Accidents Are All Too Common
In New York, the number of serious and fatal accidents between people crossing a street and motor vehicles is on the rise. Take a look at these startling numbers from a recent safety study:
- Pedestrians accounted for 52% of traffic fatalities from 2005-2009.
- Driver inattention was cited in nearly 36% of crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.
- 27% of fatal pedestrian crashes involved driver failure to yield.
- Pedestrian-vehicle crashes involving unsafe speeds are twice as deadly as other crashes.
As a Pedestrian or Bicyclist, You Have Legal Protection
Under New York City traffic regulations and New York State vehicle and traffic laws, a pedestrian crossing a street has the right of way. This requires a motorist to yield when a pedestrian is on any part of the roadway.
The laws protect bicyclists, too. When a vehicle hits and injures a bicyclist in any way, the driver has a lot of explaining to do. For example, if a bicycle rider is struck by a door opened in their path of travel—or sustains an injury when they fall to the ground to avoid the door—the person opening the door and the operator of the vehicle may both be held responsible.
How Do Drivers Cause Pedestrian Accidents?
- Ignoring red light
- Driving under the influence
- Texting or talking on cell phone
- Failing to yield right of way
- Distracted driving
Choosing the Right Personal Injury Attorney
Choosing an attorney to represent you for your accident is an important decision. Here are some reasons why De Caro & Kaplen, LLP is uniquely qualified to handle your case:
- We’ve been litigating pedestrian and bicycle accident cases for more than 35 years.
- Because of his knowledge and experience in representing individuals injured in vehicle crashes, our partner Michael Kaplen was selected by his peers nationwide to be chair of the Motor Vehicle Accident Section of the American Association for Justice.
Brain injuries often result from these unfortunate incidents. Our partner Shana De Caro is a member of the Board of Directors of the Brain Injury Association of America and has been elected by her peers to chair the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice.
No Fee Unless We Succeed
De Caro & Kaplen, LLP receives no fee for our legal work unless we obtain a settlement or favorable verdict on your behalf. That means you can afford competent legal representation without any out of pocket costs.
Were you or a loved one hurt in a pedestrian or bike accident? Don’t wait to see justice served. Contact De Caro & Kaplen, LLP today.