The brain injury lawyers at DE CARO & KAPLEN, LLP. are pleased to offer an annual scholarship for a student who is a survivor of traumatic brain injury and is pursuing a college education.
Every year our partners, Shana De Caro and Michael Kaplen, devote their time and dedicate a portion of our firm’s fees to brain injury education, prevention and advocacy. We are nationally recognized for our leadership roles in the field of brain injury law. Shana De Caro is a member of the board of directors of the Brain Injury Association of America. Michael V. Kaplen is three term past president of the Brain Injury Association of New York State. Shana and Michael have each served as chairperson of the American Association for Justice Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group. We have created a brain injury scholarship to assist survivors of traumatic brain injuries who want to pursue a college education.
Our attorneys help people who have sustained brain damage caused by all types of accidents. As advocates for people with a brain injury and their families, we have witnessed the incredible hardships they have endured and the dedication and determination that are necessary to help rebuild their lives. We want to recognize an individual’s hard work and perseverance in living with a brain injury and pursuing his/her dreams and goals.
This scholarship is an important reminder that each and every person who has sustained a traumatic brain injury is an individual, not just a statistic. Today many industries place profits over safety, such as the trucking and motor vehicle industry, construction industry, negligent doctors, and sports organizations, both professional and school or community-based. We lose sight of the full impact these injuries have on both the individual and family. A life can be changed in an instant.
A scholarship of $ 1,000 will be awarded to one applicant for the year 2021.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
- Be currently enrolled in, or accepted to enroll at an accredited college or university within the United States,
- Have sustained a traumatic brain injury from an accident or traumatic event
- Timely complete a selection application
Selection is based on the overall strength of the application, how that applicant has overcome the challenges he or she has faced from a traumatic brain injury, and goals for the future.
The application period is now open
Applicants must submit the following items:
- A completed application,
- A copy of a current college academic transcript or proof of acceptance and registration at an accredited college or university,
- A copy of proof of accident, such as police report, or some other form of proof of the traumatic event,
- Proof of a traumatic brain injury from a narrative medical report or hospital record,
- An essay of not more than three pages describing the traumatic event, your injury, and how you have worked to overcome your injury while pursuing an education etc.
- Proof of legal Residency in the U.S. (i.e. Birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card
The Traumatic Brain Injury Scholarship is to be used exclusively for college tuition, books, and related expenses and he or she is expected to submit receipts in accordance with IRS regulations.
How to Apply
Please use the form below to complete your application.
One applicant will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship in 2021. The scholarship award recipient will be notified of the selection on or before September 1, 2021. Please note we cannot guarantee disbursement of the scholarship funds for fall tuition.